Friday, September 07, 2007

Where Did The Time Go?
You know that new Kenny Chesney song? "Don't Blink" is the name of it I think. The jist of the song is that time flies by, before you know it it's been 10,20, 30 years and your life is passing you by. Having children definitely helps prove the point. I have always been very aware of the milestones in Garretts life and tried really hard to enjoy them and soak them in. But every now and then, the time really does slap me in the face and I want to scream at it to stop!

Two weeks ago I found myself sitting in my car for the first time watching my baby walk into school on the first day by himself!!! I have always walked him into school on the first day, taking pictures like I was a member of the paparazzi, and usually cried on my way out to the car(yes, I am that mom). Garrett has always graciously allowed me to carry out this ritual with little protest-I think that secretly he liked me being there (at least that's what I told myself). This day however, I sat in my car (still crying and taking pictures-pathetic,I know) and watched as he walked into his very first day of Middle School. Yes, Middle School. Yikes! It was no longer acceptable to let mom walk you in, I didn't even ask.

Didn't I just drop him off in Mrs.LeRoy's Kindergarten class (the fateful day, when he decided to go by Chandler)? So cute with his Mickey Mouse back pack that was bigger than he was.Cubbie holes, crayons, class pets, line leaders, recess, ChickaChicka Boom Boom. Oh, the innocence of elementary school.

Garrett has handled Middle School fabulously! Much better than mom. He started in a new school, didn't know a soul. He walked in like a champ and has yet to say that he didn't want to go back. So, I guess I will keep taking him (I still sit in the circle drive until I can't see him through the glass doors - it makes me feel better for some reason).
This certainly isn't the first time I have felt like this and it definitely won't be the last. I think as parents it is a bitter-sweet joy to watch your children reach these milestones. But some days, don't you wish you could go back in time or at least freeze it? Don't blink.

2 comments:

Jaclyn @ themommyrevelation said...

Our G-Man is getting way too grown up. I don't like it either. Tell him we're proud of how well he has handled all the recent changes in his world~ he's done great! And you've done well too, Tom, even though I know you don't think so. We love you all!

~Jac, Brian, and the 3 H's :)

Anonymous said...

I can't believe Garret is in Middle School!!! Congrats to him! Mom - You're doing a fine fine job with him:) DJ