Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Our Tiny Little Girl!!!


As many of you know. This past Saturday evening, we prematurely gave birth to our Little Sterling Maye Cheeks. She weighed in at 6 pounds & 6 ounces, and 18 3/4" long. She was delivered  at 36 week via c-section. She let out a good holler and we thought that she was healthy, great, and FABULOUS!!!!

She is still great and fabulous.....the healthy part, not so much. Her little lungs are underdeveloped and have been working really hard to breathe. We first thought it would be a minor set back- put her on a C-pap machine and stay in the NICU for a couple of days, then home by Thursday. She was breathing on her own but struggling still a little. A couple hours later she had worked so hard, that she blew holes through both of her lungs. After an emergency procedure , she is now on a ventilator and oxygen, and some other not so fun things too. They were no longer able to care for her here at Harris HEB so we had her transported her via teddy bear transport to Cook Children's downtown. Daddy was able to ride with her and has stayed ever since. I am still here trying to heal as fast as I can, in order to get back to my family. Chandler is trying to stick with his daily routine, but is getting a little bit crabby about all that is going on.

We have been incredibly humbled by the amounts of love that been poured out over us- nonstop for the past three days. We have always known  that we were loved-this has been such a confirmation of that love and the love that God has for our family to so graciously and strategically place people in our lives for this very moment.

The latest update is ....
-Sterling is improving. Not by huge leaps and bounds. Baby steps. They are slowly turning down the ventilator and her oxygen intake. She at times is breathing above the vent-just not consistently. Big step yesterday-they began giving her formula and now some breast milk through a g-tube.  She has actually gained weight and at last measurement was up to 6 pounds 10 ounces! (that is most defiantly on our side). There are so many other things that I could report, I am sure, but since I am not there in the hospital with her, it is hard for me to wrap my brain around it all and then relay it. Hopefully after I am released this morning and make a move over there, I will be able to give better info. They have told us to expect a up to a 4 week stay, maybe more- if it is less- we will take it and praise God for a miracle!
-I am being released this morning sometime. I am obviously sore and achey. My insides feel yucky, but should get better with time. 

Randy has been amazing. He has not left her side hardly since she got here. Obviously he is in Daddy mode and wants to do whatever it takes to "fix" her. I am told that he is asking great questions and is really understanding exactly what is going on with the tiny one. He sits with her (actually stands- no room for chairs in the NICU) for as long as he can through out the day. He has let me know that he and Sterling have all the worlds problems worked out and that they have very important ,long conversations, and that she is super smart. :)

Here is how you can pray for us specifically....
*For Sterling, we re-claim the verse that God gave me last April to pray over her..."He who began a good work in me, will be faithful to complete it." That He is faithful to complete her tiny little lungs and repair the damage. That she will quickly grow strong and healthy.

*For Garrett- he has so many emotions all at once. He is experiencing LOTS of change and is trying to get settled and process his feelings. Pray that he feels apart of the process and that he is comfortable opening up about all that is going on in his little head and heart. Also, that he doesn't withdrawal (which is his tendency). 

* For Randy- He has been so great. I know that he feels so pulled between Sterling, Garrett and I. Trying to balance the people that rely on him is exhausting. Pray that he is given continued strength and wisdom as he talks to the doctors and nurses. Pray that the few times that he actually does get to lay down and rest, are very deep and renewing sleep.

* For us as a family - that we are bonding as a family. That our marriage is not under attack in this time and that our son feels like we adore him still, just like we did before.

I know that there are so many more things to share, stories to tell and people to thank. After we get into a better routine, hopefully I will better be able to keep you more informed. until then- we thank you from the VERY bottom of souls for all that you are doing for us- we feel your arms wrapped around us and we are eternally grateful.


4 comments:

Sandra at 7th St. Studio said...

So glad to see that precious girl! she and you are all in our prayers! Sweet Sterling we can't wait to shower you with love!!!-Sandra

Amy said...

Hey Tomi! Oh, my heart just breaks for you. Know that I am praying for healing for you and Sterling, we claim right now in the name of Jesus for all your paryers to be answered.-Amy Housewright

Beej said...

Tomi! This is the first I've heard of this news. I feel like I know you through Jess and please know I'm praying for you and your peeps. Specifically as you asked!

Hang in there!

tomi said...

Thank you beej! Feel like i know you too!
our next order of business apparently is that precious Alex.....I will hold her down and you can spank her. :)