Monday, January 21, 2008

JUNO- A total must see!

     I FINALLY saw this movie! And OH MY! I related to this character so so much. In case you don't know much about the movie, heres a little recap....

A sixteen year old girl, who is a Junior in High School finds herself pregnant. After much debate with herself and her best friend, she decieds to give the baby up for adoption- to a family that they find in the Penny Saver (so funny).  The couple is a strung WAY to tight but kind wife (Jennifer Garner) and a deep down rock n roll, horrer film loving husband (Jason Bateman). The movie follows her through her pregnancy and birth and all of the difficulties that follow a pregant teenage girl....heartburn, telling your paretns, getting "fat", being embarrassed, learning that she really wants whats best for this baby growing inside her, being stared at and talked about behind her back, and so on. Oh, and she is silly in love with the father of the baby, but doesn't want to burden him with the situation.

     What I loved so much about this movie, is that it doesn't make teenage pregnancy look cute and fun, it really shows how hard it is and all the emotions that go along with it. The fear in her eyes as she tells her parents, and when she leaves the room, they say they wish that she was into hard drugs or something not as bad as pregnancy. How her friend laughs at her growing belly and how much she eats. Her parents LOVE her and totally support her (they are hilarious by the way), but at the same time they never let her think that what shes done is ok. Having been a teenage mom, I so understand her... I felt the EXACT same way that she does. I WEPT several times in the movie and a few times after...remembering. But, the BEST moment of the movie is in the hospital room after she has had the baby and her Daddy is sitting next to her, stroking her hair, and he says to her,"You will be back here someday, and it will be on your own terms." And the weeping continues! Being pregnant now on my own terms is such a different feeling. I adore my little Garrett and he has taught me so much about my self. I wouldn't change how he came about for anything-it made me who I am. But this time, it is such a joy, a peace, and I think because of how the first time was, I will handle pregnancy so differently and savor it more.

     There is some bad language and crudeness, but the story is precious. It's has a feel that was a little like Little Miss Sunshine (which I also love). It is at times really quite hilarious and I laughed out loud lots, but get ready, it will also make you cry. And the end is not what you expect and leaves you with the feeling of hope for tomarrow. 

     So, bring on my hope for tomarrow and doing this on my own terms!

P.S. 
The song at the very end of this movie is SO GREAT! It is called "Anyone Else" by the Moldy Peaches. Go find it on itunes or where ever and listen to it. 

2 comments:

Jaclyn @ themommyrevelation said...

I have wanted to see this movie too~ I'm glad it was so good...if you want to see it again, let me know.

Anonymous said...

OOO - so glad you shared this - I did not know what it was about and now I'll make sure that I see it. *And I'll be watching the movie through your eyes a bit...and that will have so much more meaning!

Just being older with this new baby then I was with Redding..and perhaps because it was the 2nd time around... it was sooo different for me too and you do savor it!! I'm right there with you on that point dear friend!!
Love you!! DJ